Monday, June 25, 2012

Easy Dinner: Crab Tostadas

A very Happy Birthday to my dad today! When I think about home and my dad, I think of happy weekends spent on the boat, usually crabbing.  Luckily for me, my parents came to visit last week and to check out our progress on making this house a home. They brought us a few pounds of crabmeat from home as a treat. It was to help hold us over on our food cravings until we get to visit them down the Eastern Shore next month. Seafood, especially crabmeat, always help me feel a little less homesick. 

Here is a recipe for one of my successful dinner experiments that I made last week with the aforementioned crabmeat. It was a nice dinner to enjoy on a very hot summer night. It was also a great way to use up some of the wonderful produce that keeps best when not in the fridge.  A lot of my facebook friends have requested this, so here you go:

Michelle's Black bean & Avocado Crab Tostadas
Serves 4

You'll Need:
1/2 lb fresh Blue Crab Meat, preferably jumbo lump, but backfin works nicely too
1 can Black beans
1 1/2 Cups Cooked  fresh corn cut off off the cob
1 Cup diced Jicama
1 1/2 fresh avocados diced
Organic Corn Tortillas (Small whole grain wraps will work too)
Lime juice
1/2 cup  salsa verde (if you use store bought instead of homemade, Wegman's brand works well)
1/2  red pepper, diced
1 tomato diced
Monterey Jack or Mexican blend of shredded Cheese

Preheat your broiler (I use the one in my convection toaster oven). Toss together beans, corn, red pepper, tomatoes, avocado, the salsa and lime juice & salt to taste. Place corn tortillas on broiler pan and let them begin to crisp in the oven slightly. Once crispy, top each tortillas with a scoop of the bean mixture. Then top that with a handful of the lump crabmeat. Cover the entire pile with a generous amount of the shredded cheese. Then place the loaded tortillas under the broiler until the cheese is completely melted. 2 of the small corn tortillas is a pretty generous dinner portion for 1 person. Goes great with a refreshing watermelon aqua fresca to drink.


No comments:

Post a Comment