Tuesday, December 17, 2013

"Today I will Live inThe Moment, Unless Its Unpleasant...In which case I will eat a cookie"- Cookie Monster



Being very pregnant, getting lots of fiber in my diet is super important to me right now.   One of my favorite ways to eat more fiber is incorporating lots of oats into my meals.  Oats contain more soluble fiber than any other grain. I use them in oatmeal, muffins, breads and is even a great binder in meatloaf to use instead of breadcrumbs.  If you're trying to lower your cholesterol consuming 2-3 servings of oats per day day can really help. I'm not saying eating 3 servings of cookies every day will help, but the extra fiber in your diet is always a good thing.

With the holiday season upon us, I've got baking on the brain...specifically cookies (as if you couldn't tell where I was going already with this post).  One thing that always bugs me is why do people add regular white flour to oatmeal cookies.  Why add something that doesn't really add nutritional value, when you can use the good stuff for no extra cost? I like to use all oats in my oatmeal cookies. its easy. Just take half of your oats and pulverize them in the food processor to make your own oat flour. As an added bonus, this makes these cookies naturally gluten free. 

16oz rolled oats toasted at 375 for 20 mins
Place half of toasted oats in food processor to make a flour. Once pulverized add 1tsp cinnamon and 1tsp aluminum free baking powder and a pinch of sea salt.

In a mixer, combine your wet ingredients on high speed:
10oz unsalted room temp butter, 6oz dark brown sugar, 3.5 oz organic cane sugar, and beat together to cream until smooth ( about 3 mins)
Slow mixer to low and add 1 large egg, & 1tsp vanilla extract.

Add flour mixture slowly into wet ingredients. Next add optional ingredients such as nuts, chocolate chips or raisins. Also add the other half of the rolled oats that weren't pulverized. Bake 375 12 minutes. If you use 1 tablespoon size drops of dough, this recipe makes about 4 dozen nibbler sized cookies. 

Note: if you have a gluten intolerance, make sure to buy certified Gluten Free rolled oats. Oats do not contain gluten but many brands are processed in the same plants as conventional flours/ I tend to trust Bob's Red Mill brand the most.  Also, if you are vegan or have a dairy intolerance, you can substitute Earth Balance Sticks for the butter. I find they do not alter the texture.

Now the hard part is keeping my husband out of the tins through the week so we have some left for when company comes over.  Hope you enjoy them! 



No comments:

Post a Comment