Sunday, January 24, 2016

A blizzard, turning forty and yummy stew

Apologies for delays in posts here but I've been all over the place.  I never know where best to put my thoughts.  I've got a facebook page, twitter and this blog. They tend to overlap and I forget which spot I place my posts and regardless, they always end up on facebook.  With that being said I'll be publishing some back pieces that I've written over the last year that have remained in drafts. But before I get to those, lets live in the now.  I've just spent the weekend in a blizzard. Also,  I am turning forty tomorrow and I'm freaking out a bit about that.  I don't feel like what my mind thought a forty year old person should be like. I think its actually a good thing though. I like my life and I think it shows through in photos, especially when I'm with my two favorite people on the planet, my husband and my little boy.  The picture below, taken earlier this morning as we were digging ourselves out, is the perfect example of this. Other than the fact I was going on no sleep and didn't have basic makeup on, I really enjoy seeing myself happy and  beaming in this photo.

 While our family was holed up, we had what I like to call Soupapalooza. I made a different soup or stew every day. Batches of soup are great to use up leftover bits (like carcasses,  bones and random leftover vegetables) and you can stock your freezer with yummy, homemade & healthy meals for when you need a lazy dinner night.

One dish that I've have had recipe requests for is my Bavarian Lentil Stew.   My husband called it "rich and meaty  with a hint of sweetness".  To me, it reminds of one of my favorite comfort foods that I enjoy in the summer, my maternal grandmother's German potato salad.  The best part of the Stew is that the meatiness comes from lentils. The only actual meat in the recipe is the bacon I rendered down at the beginning of the cooking process. The other thing I love about making a stew like this, is that it gives me the perfect excuse to break out my favorite tomato red, cast iron dutch oven. I hope you enjoy this hearty meal as much as we have and that it warms you up on a chilly night.

Ingredients
  • 4 oz. sliced bacon, roughly chopped
  • ½ c. diced onion
  • 3/4 c. diced leeks (white parts only)
  • ½ c. diced celery
  • 2 medium carrots, unpeeled & diced
  • 1 qt. chicken broth
  • 1½ c. brown lentils
  • 1 tsp. thyme
  • 2 bay leaves
  • ½ tsp. black pepper
  • ¼ tsp. nutmeg
  • 3 medum sized, raw, yellow potatoes, unpeeled & diced
  • 2 Tbsp. white vinegar
  • 1 Tbsp. sugar
  • Salt to taste
  • 2 generous splashes of red table wine (make sure its one you would drink yourself, I used "19 Crimes"
Instructions

  1. Heat a dutch oven or other heavy bottomed pot over medium heat. Cook the bacon until the fat has rendered into the pot and the bacon is crispy.
  2. Add the onions, leeks, celery, and carrots to the pot. Saute five minutes, or until golden.
  3. Pour in the wine and scrape any of the brown bits on the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon. Add the lentils, thyme, bay leaves, pepper, stock and nutmeg. Cook for 30 minutes on medium, covered.
  4. Add the potatoes and cook an additional 15 until lentils and vegetables are tender.At this point decide if its thick enough for you.  I wanted mine extra thickso it could almost pass for a side dish as aopposed to a stew.  I fixed this by adding a small amount of roux. I took 1 tablespoon of butter and melted in a pan with 2 tablespoons of flour until it is dark golden to light brown in color. then stir it into yoiur soup mixture.   Stir in vinegar and sugar, then add salt to taste. Serve with warm bread and butter.
Serves Six.  Once you prep by chopping up all the veggies the actual cooking time of this rich dish is about an hour give or take a few minutes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment