Monday, August 13, 2018

Meat Free Monday: Keeping Cool on a Hot Summer Night

Hi everyone. I'm back from my month in Maryland and am slowly readjusting to the temperatures back at home. Here in Florida it is crazy hot and humid this time of year. My husband works for a major home builder and the last thing he wants after a long day in the heat is warm food. It was also the first day of school, so after a lot of chaos, I wanted something easy. Tonight's meat free Monday meal is a different take on salad for dinner. I give you "Pizz'alad". Sounds ridiculous,  but hear me out.


Just take your favorite pizza dough.... something thin & crispy tends to work best. Tonight, I did a whole wheat crust I like to make, but a store bought lavash/ flat bread or a naan works equally well for this. It can be gluten free or whatever kind you like it really doesn't matter. Fathead dough if you're doing the keto diet works great for this as well.  Crisp it up in the oven and then let it cool to room temperature.

Next , I like to spread a thin layer of an herb cheese or some kind of a spread like a tasty hummus. then I load it up with some chopped salad and whatever veggies I need to use up. For example: tonight I have a mixture of thin sliced romaine lettuce, sliced red bell peppers, cucumbers, a handful of alfalfa sprouts, blanched green beans & snap peas, as well as my new favorite obsession, mini san marazano tomatoes.  then I drizzle the entire thing with my dressing of choice.... tonight its an Avocado ranch that I made.

And voila. slice & eat it up. its cool, light, crunchy, refreshing and an easy dinner that doesn't add to the heat in your system from the craziness outside. on another note, if your kids are pizza fans, this is another way to get them to eat some veggies in a fun way.   Hope you enjoy this easy weeknight dinner as much as we do.  Stay cool!

No comments:

Post a Comment