Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Keepin' It Green

Happy Meat Free Monday Folks! I woke up this morning feeling a little under weather. I think I have a cold coming on. My solution, blast my body with lots of fruit and vegetables  and help it to heal itself. 


In trying to keep up with eating breakfast every morning, I started off  my day by having a green smoothie for breakfast.   Green drinks are something I've been wanting to try for a while. On the advice of some of my classmates, I've been experimenting with different fruit and veggie combinations. They look weird, but taste really good.   Ideally, using fresh veggies & fruit is the best way to enjoy these drinks. Leaf vegetables are typically low in calories, low in fat, high in protein per calorie, high in dietary fiber, high in iron and calcium, and very high in phytochemicals such as vitamin Ccarotenoids,luteinfolate as well as Vitamin K.These drinks are a great way to get kids to enjoy vegetables too.
The Basic Green Smoothie Recipe


This is what I recommend for starting out (makes about 1 quart/1 liter).


1 or 2          ripe bananas
1/2 cup       of another fruit: (pineapple, blueberry, apple, peach, mango)
1 1/2 cup    fresh greens:   (~2 chard leaves or ~1 handful spinach/kale)




~ 12 oz water (or to desired consistency)


If you don't have a blender or juicer, or you're short on time, you can buy pre-made green drinks and smoothies.  The fresh ones are best, just be sure to read the ingredient labels to make sure there aren't any additives and that you are truly just getting blended fruit and veg.   I like Naked juice and Odwalla brands, if I have to grab a smoothie on the run.


For lunch I had some spicy black bean soup. It really helped clear up my stuffed up sinuses. I finished clearing them out when I got home from work with the aid of my netipot.


For dinner I tossed some whole grain pasta, in homemade basil pesto with some Kale, spinach, broccoli & I tossed in some cannellini beans for some added protein.  It was really yummy and super easy to make. 


Now I'm nursing a cup of green tea, with a hint of honey from the farm around the corner to soothe my sore throat.   It may not be the instant feel good cure for a cold, like some of the pills and remedies in the drug store, but I have peace of mind that I'm giving my body the tools to help it heal itself. .... Now if that can just be sooner than later so I can be healthy enough to enjoy being in my best friend's wedding this weekend.... :-)



No comments:

Post a Comment