Friday, May 16, 2014

Gluten free update & some meatballs

Note: This Post was writen back in October 2012. It never made it up until now due to computer issues.

Sorry for the long delay between posts, been having some computer issues so I'm posting some that I actually wrote over the last several weeks and haven't uploaded yet. Hope you find them useful!

 My kitchen remodel finally is done and its amazing the difference a functional layout can make. My husband and I noticed I've been cooking nonstop since it was installed. This gluten free diet is so much easier being able to finally cook again. I've had a few yummy successes this past week.

First up I sautéed some andouille sausage in some olive oil & garlic. Then I added broccollini, zucchini, shrimp and tossed in some cannellini beans. This was definitely a winner. The smokiness of the sausage flavored everything else. The dish was nice and filling too. It didn't need any kind of side dish or starch accompaniment either.

My mom came to town and I made a paleo recipe of pork with apples slow cooked in the crockpot. Quite yummy!



The next night I was feeling lazy but still did not want to order takeout so I made meatballs. Growing up, I loved helping my mom make meatballs, especially when she'd quote that tv commercial in a funny accent and exclaim "that's a spicy meatball". The spiciest always came from loads of garlic in the meatball mix. I decided I wanted the garlic but I also had to de-gluten her recipe And wanted to make them a bit healthier. They turned out really yummy & I created a new recipe. Score!

Here's what I did:
I mixed 1package of ground turkey, tossed in a half package of thawed frozen spinach, 2 very large cloves of garlic minced, 1 egg and a generous sprinkling of Parmesan cheese. I also tossed in about a cup of gluten free panko bread crumbs. Next I sautéed the meatballs in some olive oil with about 2 more cloves of garlic mixed in.  As soon as the meatballs are browned on the outside I place them In a stoneware baker. I pour some of my slow roasted tomato sauce over the top and let it bake for about 30 minutes. Then enjoy!

I'm noticing the more cooking I do and the longer I go without gluten, the easier these new dietary changes are becoming.  Hopefully those of you pursuing gluten free diets will have as many successes as I have had these last two weeks.  Happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment