Friday, May 16, 2014

Soups On!: Homemade stock.

Happy Food Revolution Day! I'm posting every hour on my Facebook page today: Facebook.com/lifeinbalancewellness.  I'm sharing recipes and cooking techniques throughout the day. As promised, first up is a basic necessity in every kitchen: Chicken stock... or for you Paleo heads out there, Chicken bone broth.


Its a rainy and chilly spring morning here in PA so I think of soup on damp days like this. Not to mention, the baby has been ill a few days and now I'm feeling a tad queasy. Some homemade chicken soup is just what I need. The base for every chicken soup and a lot of other things is stock.  I just can't justify paying a few bucks at the store for something I can make at home with things I have in my pantry and freezer all the time.  Not to mention, who wants all the added salt and preservatives in their food? Not me.

A lot of people don't roast their own chickens fro dinner anymore. Its pretty easy to do but most don't have time so they pick up one of those rotisserie style ones for about $5 a the grocery store.  I bring this up because you will need your own roasted chicken or one of the rotisserie ones for these recipes.   I keep things easy by any time I do roast a chicken or a turkey I take the leftover carcass, pop it in a ziploc bag and toss it in the freezer. This same bag is a good place to pop the neck that comes in the package too (that most people never use.)

So, take the carcass from your freezer or the leftover one from your rotisserie chicken and begin letting it thaw. Next take your favorite stock pot and add  your mirepoix to the bottom: thats equal parts diced carrots, celery and onion for those who don't use culinary speak.   (I used 4 carrots, 4 ribs of celery and 1 large onion here.) I like to use my dutch oven when dealing with a smaller carcass. Sweat the mirepoix with a little bit of olive oil for a few minutes and then place the chicken carcass on top.  Pour in cold water until the carcass is submerged. Fill a sachet, muslin bag or tea ball with a few peppercorns, a garlic clove, 2 bay leaves and  some parsley stems. Drop this in the pot as well.


Cook on high heat until you begin to see bubbles break through the surface of the liquid. Turn heat down to medium low so that stock maintains low, gentle simmer. Skim the scum from the stock with a spoon or fine mesh strainer every 10 to 15 minutes for the first hour of cooking and twice each hour for the next 2 hours. Add hot water as needed to keep bones and vegetables submerged. Simmer uncovered for 6 to 8 hours.

Strain stock through a fine mesh strainer into another large stockpot or heatproof container discarding the solids. Cool immediately in large cooler of ice or a sink full of ice water to below 40 degrees. Place in refrigerator overnight. Remove solidified fat from surface of liquid and store in container with lid in refrigerator for 2 to 3 days or in freezer for up to 3 months. Prior to use, bring to boil for 2 minutes. Use as a base for soups and sauces.




No comments:

Post a Comment