Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Its cold outside so Lets Talk Turnips

I went home to Baltimore this past weekend and spent much of my time there reminiscing and talking with my husband  about great meals and fun times I had growing up. We talked about Sunday dinners in our family after a long day of chores. We always loved the pot roast, but we hated what it came with: turnips. My exposure to turnips was pretty bland: they were sliced and then boiled. pretty flavorless. Pot roast night was the only night we ever saw them so we usually slathered them in gravy. My brother (Happy birthday today Eric, BTW) also got pretty creative trying to pass them to the dog, but even Brandy had his limits of what he would eat.

I was checking out a blog post on the New York Times and the turnips popped up.  It seemed like fate and I was determined to remedy my turnip stigma from my childhood.

So here are the great facts about turnips and a few ideas for you to truly enjoy them.  Turnips are very low calorie root vegetables; contain only 28 calories per 100 g.  The root part of the turnip is high only in vitamin C (which is usually the only part most of us have ever eaten). The green leaves of the turnip top ("turnip greens") are  where all the action is. They are a good source of vitamin A, folate, vitamin C, vitamin K and calcium.   They are very good source of anti-oxidants, minerals, vitamins and dietary fiber.  Turnip greens are also high in Lutein. Turnips also are rather inexpensive compared to many other vegetables so they can be great for families on a budget.

As an adult, I'm finding a lot of new ways to play with my food and there are so many great resources available online to get recipes and ideas quickly. The turnip is no exception to that. It can be used in soups, gratins, all kinds of wonderful dishes. I especially love using the greens, they are packed full of nutrients.

Here are a few of my favorite finds that I'll be making at home this winter.
Wilted Greens with Garlic & Anchovies
Roasted Vegetable with Pecan Gremolata
Warm Turnip Green Dip
Roasted Turnips with sweet potatoes, apples, & dried cranberries
Black-Eyed Pea Cakes and Beer-Braised Turnip Greens
Chinese Hot Pot of Beef and Vegetables
Beef Beer & Barley Stew
Lentil Stew with Winter Vegetables
Brussel sprouts, beets and Turnips with hazelnuts

Hopefully you'll find one or two gems that you like as well and incorporate more of this wonderful root vegetable into your meals at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment