Friday, February 24, 2012

Sustainable Seafood or Maybe Meat Free during Lent?

Hello all. As many of you know, many Christians around the world began celebrating the season of Lent this past week. Growing up in a Catholic household, we always did "Fish Fridays" this time of year. If we were especially busy it was usually something deep fried or  even worse majorly processed, like fish sticks. ....not exactly the healthiest of choices, but there were rules we had to follow (and vegetarian options weren't really that experimented with or popular in our household).  I started thinking about all of my friends who participate in Lent and many of them are on a budget. Lets be honest, seafood is expensive and if you live on the East coast like I do, most of it is not exactly sustainable let alone in season this time of year.

Instead of buying a "fish" sandwich with who knows what in it from a certain fast food chain with yellow arches, why not treat yourself to a really delicious and sustainable vegetarian meal? Just something to think about. I should also say I am not anti-seafood...  I absolutely love it! I would simply rather eat it when its fresh and  when I know where it came from. If interested in finding out more about sustainable seafood check out some great information on The Monterey Bay Aquarium's Seafood Watch Website


With vegetarian options in mind, here's a nice hearty meat free recipe I found while web surfing Epicurious' web site for  Vegetarian Shepherd's Pie. For those of you who celebrate Lent I hope you find all the bountiful options available to you and enjoy them, instead of feeling restricted by a perceived lack of choices. 


No comments:

Post a Comment