Saturday, March 3, 2012

Healthier Convenience Baked Goods? Am I dreaming?

Happy Saturday! Its my one weekend off per month...hooray! I'm happy to report we have lots of fun things planned but the best parts are that my brother in law is spending the weekend with us and I get to see my good friend Sara later tonight. Whenever we have weekend guests I like to wake up and have some nice warm baked goods ready for our guests. After a crazy night out, the thought of getting up, proofing and baking dough is not exactly at the top of my wish list.  Despite it making my life easier, I refuse to buy the biscuits with a certain giggling rotund boy in a chef hat. I don't trust the chemicals & preservatives in the prepackaged doughs. This youtube clip pretty much demonstrates what I think of them , its entitled where croissants come from:



I was faced with this same dilemma about a month ago until I discovered the Immaculate Baking Company while in Wegman's. Their products were right on the refrigerated shelf next to the other pre-packaged doughs and cookies....so I almost missed them. Here's the skinny on what I thought of their products.

1) I love the fact that I can not only pronounce and recognize every ingredient on the label but they even explain they use non GMO Canola oil and aluminum fee baking powder

2) They also have gluten free and dairy free cookie lines as well

3) The scones are more like biscuits and have yummy things like cranberries or cinnamon in them.  They also don't leave that yucky film on the roof of your mouth when you eat them at room temperature like that other popular brand does. They also keep for a few days.

4) They actually taste pretty close to homemade...... almost as good. Homemade for me, is always best.

5) My husband really likes the cookies.

So basically yes, you can actually buy good tasting pre-made dough for baking that isn't full of nasty chemicals. I will still make 99% of my baked goods myself, but it is nice to know I have a trustworthy option if I decide to take  it easy and cheat once in a while.  (They have no idea I'm giving them this glowing endorsement BTW, I just was very pleasantly surprised by their products)

No comments:

Post a Comment