Friday, May 11, 2012

Is there a 12 step program for Pinterest users? & The Healthy Breakfast Challenge

I have discovered that I have an addiction.... to using Pinterest.  For those of you whom are unfamiliar with this marvelous little app, it allows you to "pin" pictures with links you've found around the web to your own virtual styleboards. Then your friends can follow and look at your boards and "repin" the ideas you've saved and liked to their own boards.

I am a very visual person who also has a million and one "to do" projects in my brain. I am also a list maker and a dreamer. For me, Pinterest fits all of those needs and I don't have to lose any of my ideas. Previously I spent hours making a board manually. Now it takes seconds. The only problem with that is that Pinterest has become a major way for me to unwind and I seem to be losing hours of my life. I have decided that I need to to come up with a way to make my time a little bit more bankable or productive.

Being the food obsessed individual I am, my favorite ways to use the boards is to categorize recipes that I's like to try. I started  reviewing my boards this morning and had a light bulb moment. I will be blogging about my recipe adventures that I've saved on Pinterest. The first board I'd like to tackle is one I've entitled "The Healthy Breakfast Challenge." 

Eating breakfast every day is hugely important. I am challenging myself to make a different breakfast every day and share what worked and what didn't with all of you out there in blogland.  I will only be sharing successes, to hopefully save those of you attempting to do the same some time and frustration.  The first recipe I'd like to share is one of my own concoctions, after that you'll get Pinterest recipe central.

my egg poaching cup- makes it so easy!
I love poached eggs.  Unfortunately they can be a royal pain to make, not to mention time consuming. About a year ago my mom got me these marvelous silicone cups to make poached eggs in. That was the moment when the egg experimentation started. One of the by-products of these experiments is my recipe for Poached Italian eggs.

A few years a go there was a dish on the brunch menu of my parents restaurant called Italian eggs.  Essentially it was a variation of  the English "toad in the hole". They took Texas toast garlic bread and baked an egg in the middle of it. IT was wonderful but rather greasy and not exactly on the light side.  I took the concept and ran with it.

I love savory flavors like rosemary oregano & tomatoes, so why not enjoy them at breakfast?! I take a piece of my favorite whole grain bread and lightly toast it. Meanwhile I poach my egg using my egg cups on the stove top. Next I take the toast and smear on some pasta sauce and sprinkle it with mozzarella cheese and italian herbs. I pop this back in the toaster oven so the cheese melts slightly. By the time the cheese is toasted my egg is ready (I like my yolks nice and runny and the timing seems to always work out). I place the egg on top of my pizza toast (as the hubby calls it), sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and a little bit more herbs.
Italian Eggs

I love the way the yolk soaks into the bread and all the flavors blend together as I cut this breakfast into bites. Not only is it delicious but it gives me the energy I need to get my day started. Bon Appetito!

No comments:

Post a Comment